Dreams & Goals for 2017
Every year is another chance to look back, figure out what went well and what didn't, and think of ways to make the next year even better. I call my list "dreams and goals," instead of "resolutions." What I've discovered, especially this past year, is that you don't know what unexpected opportunities may pop up or how you will change as a person. It's good to dream and plan, and it's also healthy to let yourself be flexible and spontaneous.
A few dreams / goals I met in 2016:
- Read 25 books. Some of them were short, and one or two of them were quite long (I'm looking at you, Mack). It felt great to make a dent in that TBR list!
- Take photos. I started learning about photography in earnest. Will continue this one in 2017.
- Love my neighbors. That is, I tried to love the people with whom I interacted in "real life" and online. As we all have experienced, it's been a contentious year. More than ever I realized the struggle - and necessity - of being understanding and respectful of others, even if I felt hurt by their words or attitudes. This is an ongoing goal.
"You never really know a man until you stand in his shoes and walk around in them."
Some of my dreams and goals for 2017:
- Read 15 books. I'll be setting my Goodreads challenge a bit lower this time, which hopefully will allow me to squeeze in some longer books.
- Learn to read in French. My dad has a textbook called French for Reading. Starting January 1, my goal is to complete a lesson a day and ultimately be able to read at least children's literature by the end of the year.
- Don't buy new things. Especially books, right? ;)
- Keep a consistent schedule. Lately I've recognized a need to significantly reduce the level of stress in my life. If I can identify a schedule that will balance my full-time work and my personal life (i.e. reading!), it will help remove some of that unnecessary stress.